Tuesday, December 28, 2010

4-time World Surfing Champion Stephanie Gilmore Assaulted

Gilmore, 22, was struck on the head with an iron bar by a man who approached her on the stairs of her Hill Street apartment. A 26-year-old man has been charged in connection with the incident.  He was later arrested, and is believed to be homeless.  Police say that some time after the bashing, the alleged attacker returned to the block of units, where he was seen by friends and neighbours of Gilmore.

Gilmore was struck twice and also suffered a broken wrist. She was later hospitalized and released.

Earlier this month Gilmore won her Third Vans Triple Crown of Surfing hampionship, (Yeah that's Three). She has won the world title every year since qualifying for the World Tour.



Gilmore released this statement via the ASP World Tour website: "There was an incident in which I was attacked at my property. It was a completely random act in which I was a victim in the wrong place at the wrong time. It is now a matter for the court. I have sought medical attention and am on my road to recovery in high spirits.

"I look forward to getting back in the water in six weeks. In the mean time, I'm staying mentally and physically fit every way I can. I have fantastic support from my family and friends and look forward to resting up for a fresh start in the New Year."



Gilmore became the first person to win 4 world titles in as many times. The 2011 World surfing tour starts on February 26th on the Gold Coast. I'm sure Stephanie will be ready by then to compete.

No comments:

Post a Comment